Monday, January 28, 2013

The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined - Salman Khan

“While I’m around, Khan Academy will be free,” Khan says. 

"The new world is not about selling or having a gate to knowledge," he said. "It's about having a relationship with the user."


When I did my first MOOC 'Fantasy and Science Fiction: The Human Mind, Our Modern World'
I was very frustrated and angry about the fact that after the course ended, they took down everything: the whole forums and the wiki page including all the information and links we students collected.
It doesn't make any sense to me and to be honest I find it offensive. The only reason I could think of was coursera trying to create a 'business model'. That's another reason why you should set up
your own blog and save the information that is valuable for you.

Or as my friend Marcio Gualtieri put it:
"You can't change the world (in a positive way) and have a "business model". I hope that MOOCs
read this book, because from my interaction with them I have the impression that they just don't get it."

 

I love the quote Salman Khan puts in the beginning of his book:

Don't limit a child to your own learning, for he was born in another time. - Rabindranatha Tagore

You can read the Introduction to his new book here:


And here is another nice talk:



Be sure to also check out the heart warming Khan Academy student stories:
https://www.khanacademy.org/stories


Creative Commons License
Text by Céline Keller is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported LicenseFiles, Pictures and Videos might not be.

 #edcmooc #SalmanKhan #talks #videos #articles #utopia

No comments: